Monday, 5 August 2013

Paula's Bits

Hi there everyone! I just wanted to put down some thoughts I have been having about the trip. So here are some of my reflections about the trip so far:

All the kids have been amazingly tolerant of all the cycling with no major problems since Kate's possibly broken wrist.My cycling experience has been good - I am enjoying the challenge and there have been a few lows, so I do keep reminding myself that we are lucky to be doing this. Every ride now I expect to get a numb left foot in the first hour of cycling. This doesn't normally come back until we stop for lunch. My only other minor problem was a few bottom sores on the day we finished at 12:15am. Asos cream sorted me out - really numbed it. The first few days we all suffered with neck and shoulder ache nothing major that a few stretches  sorted out. Chris' arms are fine whilst cycling and then tend to go numb when he stops - weird!
When we met up with Bill and Rory I spent the rest of the day longing to stop and relax. We have been spoilt by Ali as always. It has been great here,so relaxing and lovely to get all the washing done, lovely showers and a bit of normality. Having spent hours longing for a massage Ali kindly obliged with that too! However it was so painful (sorry Ali) I won't be longing for another one!!! I am sure it has helped but I still have fat feet - must be the heat, old age and poor circulation.

Right now I have asked everyone three questions:
1. Best moment so far
2. Worst moment
3. Aches and pains

Here are their replies:-
Dad:-
1. Meeting up with Bill and Ali, Hagrid and Anna. Also cycling into Bingham- best days cycling
2. Waking up to see Kate's swollen wrist worse!
3. Numb nuts and struggling to get comfy on saddle. Numb right toes all the time.

Mum:-
1. Hug with Ali once I had had a shower. All showers at the end of the day.
2. Trying to find places to stay in the dark at midnight!!
3. Numb feet, numb palms of hands - sore butt.

Chris:-
1. Watching Sarah crash into restaurant box in Neuss.
2. No bad moments
3. None, when stopping arms go numb.

Rachel:-
1. Getting clothes washed at Ali's and having shower in evening.
2. Apart from taking Mum's pannier (said with a smile!) Dad's poor navigation and going wrong so many times.
3. No aches pains or sores!!

Sarah:-
1. Swimming in Karlsruhe ,funniest was when I crashed into restaurant box.
2. Arriving at 12:15 in Venlo
3. None - bit of Osgood Slaters knee ache.

Kate:-
1. Finding out wrist wasn't broken.
2. Missing Premier Inn breakfast.
3. Sore bottom and arm.

Will try and do this again at the end of trip, BFN Paula xx


2 comments:

  1. You are all amazing. well done to you all and thank you for sharing it with me via your blog. Alfiefine and spending most of his time happily out in the garden as its quite warm. Enjoy your break and good luck with the rest of the cycle. Keep pedalling xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wiseman family!! We have been catching up on all your blog this evening, as we have been away in The North (just walking, no cycling). Sounds like you're having an amazing time. Enjoy your rest days. Happy (belated) birthday Paula. Love Sue, Chris and small Frys xx

    ReplyDelete